Read About Our History
Flying Aggies History
In October of 1948, the Flying Aggies were formed by Hoyt E. Walkup, a flight instructor and advisor, with twelve initial members. With the assistance of the first Flying Aggies President Bob Lemon, Walkup grew the organization to over forty members by the spring of 1949. The Flying Aggies have represented Oklahoma State University in aviation at the national level since its formation, growing with the former OSU Flight Department and the formation of the Aviation Education program in the early 1980s.
In 1951, the Flying Aggies entered their first NIFA air meet and have been participating since. The Flying Aggies have hosted the National Intercollegiate Air meet (now known as SAFECON) in Stillwater four times: in 1952, 1957, 1962, and 1977.
Unequaled to this day by any other collegiate flying team by winning the Grover Loening silver cup, the Flying Aggies have been selected as the nation’s outstanding collegiate aviation organization twenty-one times; almost three times as many as the next closest school.
The club has earned the title of National Champions as the top flight team repeatedly, winning the Bendix Trophy nine times. In regional competitions, the Flying Aggies have placed in all but two meets. On eight occasions a Flying Aggie has been selected as the nation’s Outstanding Intercollegiate Male, and six female Aggies have been named the nation’s Outstanding Intercollegiate Female. Two Flying Aggies have also received the Women’s Achievement Award for their significant contribution to aviation.
The Flying Aggies work hard to promote aviation to fellow pilots and the general public. During the year, the club participates in numerous projects and social events. Activities include community service projects, our annual fly-in, NIFA competitions, field trips, and socials.
Our alumni have graduated and found success in the aviation industry as airline, military, cargo, corporate pilots, flight instructors, designated pilot examiners, entrepreneurs, c-suite executives, and astronauts.
Why are We Called the Flying Aggies?
Oklahoma State University was founded in 1980 (under the Morrill Act) and was originally named Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College. Oklahoma A&M changed its name to Oklahoma State University of Agricultural and Applied Sciences in 1957. It was quickly shortened to Oklahoma State University for simplicity but "Agricultural and Applied Sciences" wasn't formally dropped until 1980. The "Flying Aggies" name was established prior to A&M being removed from the university's name; therefore, the Aggies opted to keep their name.